Saturday, November 25, 2017

Miss Universe 2017 (Pre-Finals)

After Miss World's eventful month in China, I must say that Miss Universe is just a disappointment in the events following up the finals. The location of the preliminary competition is cheap looking as well (although I must say it does not look that bad in the official version published by the Miss Universe Organisation). I guess I reli have take it for granted that the preliminary competition should be on a decent stage and I would no longer complain that the preliminary competition is usually not entertaining enough.

Now, as always, I am more interested in the evening gown competition and thus, I would only make a post on this specific portion. I will divide this into two categories: (i) dresses that caught my eye and (ii) contestants that caught my eye.

(i) Dresses that Caught my Eye (in alphabetical order)
Angola 


  • Lauriela looks so natural and her silver gown with fringes all over the bottom half of the gown looks stunning. She reminds me of Miss Teen USA 2012 Logan West. My only complaint is that her hair is abit too puffy.

Cambodia

  • By is Cambodia's first bet in the pageant and I think she had done a good job in evening gown. The high-neck nude gown with an overdress is impacting and looks much better in motion.
Canada

  • Canada's gown is a pageant-betty gown but it looks stunning on Lauren. It made her look like a princess. She could have improved her walk though.
DR

  • This is one dramatic stunning ballgown and you just can't stop yourself from looking at her. My only concern is that it blended in too well with the background of the prelims. BUTT I am sure that it will look stunning on the final stage. 
France

  • Wow France! I was underwhelmed by Alicia's performance throughout the two weeks but she really brought it when it matters the most. The silver see-through with "tulle capelet on her shoulders" (taken from Nick Verreos) just brings out the elegance in her. Her hairstyle and make-up were on point that night which highlighted her exotic beauty. One of the best of the night.
Great Britian

  • Anna was on alot of people's list for evening gown but it is not until I watched the preliminary competition that I notice the dress is actually a leotard. I think the gown is impacting and red is her colour. She is the most stunning contestant from GB since Amy Willerton.
Guyana 

  • Stunning canary yellow dress. The colour is perfect for her and the dress really does exude "the colour of joy".  Coupled with her simplistic ponytail and makeup, she just looks eye-catching.
India

  • Shraddha's dress is so carpet ready. I really wish she would ditch the tippy tops and go for a pair of simple silver strappies. Yet, I do not think she can bring another crown to India this year. Compared with Miss World's Manushi Chhilar, I do not think Sharddha has the spark to win the Miss Universe crown. No doubt, though, I would not be surprised if she excel in tonight's finals.
Indonesia

  • The pink dress is so flowy and it just pops on stage. Pretty.
Lebanon

  • It's no surprise that Lebanon's dress is top-notch. They have some really talented designers and it is great they can to showcast their dresses on the international stage.  
Nicaragua

  • Berenice's mint coloured ballgown is so unique that it just stands out from the crowd. It stands out in a good way in that the sequins and the shape is stunning. 
Peru

  • Stunning, shimmery and flowy. Pretty. But please change the shoes.
Peru

  • This is a stunning sequin-detailed gown. One of my favourites of the night. 
Sri Lanka

  • A simple red dress BUT the colour pops and made her stood out. 
Thailand

  • Mic drop. No words.
Venezuela

  • Venezuela is strong as usual and a non-placement for two years in a row in just not possible.
(ii) Girls that caught my eye
Russia

  • Russia is stunning! One of the faces of the pageant. I think her dress is good but it's not spectacular. I really hope she has a better gown for the finals as it would be a shame if she is shut out of the top 5 because of that.  
I have always thought Russia is the most stunning girl in the group until I saw
Israel

  • Stunning! She has the face of the pageant! Even though she's in a cheap-looking white dress, I gave her a really high mark just because of her face. Based on beauty alone, she should be given a ticket into the top 15. But she seems to be a timid girl on stage with bad stage-chops. It would be such a shame if she is shut out of the top 15 because of this.
South Africa

  • I have Demi-Leigh as my winner but i really can't make up my mind as to whether I like or dislike her green dress as it actually looks decent in motion. Let's just say this is an indication that she can do much better. I am sure she would be up there and have a stunning gown prepared. I would not be surprised to see the lady from the rainbow nation being crowed tonight.
Nepal

  • Nepal looks fresh and exotic. She looks much better in motion and I would think a simple gown will make her fresh look stand out even more. 
Finland

  • The European countries are strong this year. Finland looks like a barbie doll. 
Mauritius

  • On the other side of the spectrum, Mauritius looks like a supermodel with a statuesque figure. I would understand if she places in the top 15.

No comments:

Post a Comment